Salsa Chicken Quesadillas are just one of many meals you can make for the week with Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken
Salsa Chicken in the slow cooker is by far one of the most versatile, easy recipes you can make if you’re in need of some meals prepared ahead of time for the week. It’s perfect for cooking on a Sunday or even mid-week if you’ve run out of ideas and energy. This time I used a bunch of it for these Salsa Chicken Quesadillas but it also works great in burritos or rice bowls with some extra added beans and veggies. I find that when I have my main protein figured out it’s easy to throw something together from pantry staples and produce from the fridge or freezer. So if I haven’t got a clue what to make it’s usually because I didn’t think ahead about the protein and forgot to take something out of the freezer the night before. Not to worry though, you can use frozen chicken breasts for this one if you forget. Like I do, all. the. time. 😳
So pop in some chicken breasts, a sprinkle of spices and a jar of salsa before you go to work and dinner is waiting for you when you get home. If you use frozen chicken breasts just make sure to leave the slow cooker on a little longer, around 8 hours on low. Keep in mind once it’s finished you’ll have lots of leftover chicken to use for other meals for the rest of the week.
A quick tip to shred your chicken breasts faster after they’re done cooking: use an electric hand mixer! Make sure to start on the lowest speed first.
I came across this recipe for homemade whole wheat tortillas from The Lean Green Bean a while ago in my efforts to continue to explore all things I can make myself instead of buying. It literally could not be easier. If you have kids, get them involved and have fun with it! It might add 30 minutes to your Mexican night but it’s well worth it in my opinion. It’s another one of those things that once you try it, you’ll never go back and you’ll be wondering why you ever wasted money on store bought in the first place. Save it for the weekend if you’re really short on time during the week. Thankfully we’re already saving time and effort with the slow cooker.
What are some of your favourite time saving recipes and tips? Let me know in the comments, I’d love to hear about them 😊
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 jar of corn & black bean salsa about 2 cups*
- 1 tsp each of garlic powder, salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder
- 8 whole wheat tortillas (small ones ~8 inch)*
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup diced black olives
- ½ cup green onions, sliced
- 2 cups shredded cheese (tex-mex or cheddar blend)
- Add chicken breasts and salsa to slow cooker and set to either high for 4 hours or low for 6-7 until chicken pulls apart easily.
- Shred chicken with two forks or use an electric hand mixer to save time.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and assemble quesadillas:
- Place ¼ cup of shredded cheese on top of one tortilla then top with about ⅓ cup of salsa chicken and remaining toppings (tomatoes, olives, green onions).
- Add another ¼ cup of cheese and another tortilla then place on a lightly oiled sheet pan
- Repeat to assemble remaining 3 quesadillas.
- Bake for 10 minutes until tortillas become crispy and cheese is melted.
Store bought is fine or bonus points for homemade! It's easy I promise.
1/2 a quesadilla is quite filling especially for kids, this recipe serves between 4 and 8 accordingly.